Chia, or Salvia hispanica, could be a reasonably phanerogam –member of the asterid dicot family Lamiaceae, and grows in Guatemala and central and southern Mexico.
Its name came from the Mayan word for strength. This remarkable plant was commonly used since the traditional era so as to spice up energy levels, especially for the running messengers. because of this property, it absolutely was also referred to as Indian Running Food.
The taste of Chia seeds is mild and pleasant, and it easily enters various dishes, because it doesn’t alter the taste much. you’ll be able to add it to smoothies, sauces, bread butters and also the like.
Chia seeds- health benefits
Chia seeds have:
- 3 times the reported antioxidant strength of blueberries
- 2 times the quantity of potassium contained in bananas
- 3 times more iron than spinach
- 5 times the calcium of milk, similarly as boron, a trace mineral that helps transfer calcium within the bones
- great amounts of omega 3 and omega 6, which are essential fatty acids
- 2 times the protein of the other seed or grain
- Chia seeds are rich in soluble fibre, furthermore as proteins and essential amino acids in an easily digestible form.
Chia seeds are highly hydrophilic, that is, they absorb water and form a mucilaginous gel. they’ll absorb 9-12 times their weight in water in a very quick way, in no quite 10 minutes.
Chia seeds are a chic source of antioxidants. Also, these seeds will be stored dry for 4-5 years and that they won’t lose their nutritional value, odor or flavor. they’re the most effective replacement for flaxseed.
Chia seeds displace calories and fat when added to food, but they are doing not alter the flavour of the meal. Hence, now you’ll enjoy all of your favorite meals and still intake half the calories that you just accustomed consume before.
Chia has numerous other health benefits, including:
- Regulates digestion
- Regulates glucose
- Provides energy
- Boosts your body strength
- Boosts endurance
- Helps the method of weight loss
- Therefore, chia seeds can help in numerous other health conditions, like:
- Reduces cholesterol levels
- Weight loss/balance
- Thyroid conditions
- Acid reflux
- Celiac disease
- Easy to Digest
When soaked in water, the body easily absorbs and digests these seeds.
Absorb and Retain Water
Chia seeds may prolong hydration and retain electrolytes, especially during the method of excretion.
Add a tablespoon of chia seeds in some water and it’ll successfully absorb the surplus acid. After 5 minutes, drink a cup of water, since these seeds are hydrophilic and if they lack water, they’re going to absorb it from the tissues.
Due to its mild taste, chia is also a component of the many recipes. Add Chia seeds to your dressings, smoothies, crackers, juices, ice creams, and cookie mixtures etc.
Cleanse the intestines
Chia seeds get eliminate the waste deposits within the intestines and promote regular bowel movements.
These remarkable seeds, because of the many nutrients they contain, promote rapid tissue regeneration, so that they are incredible within the case of recovering from injuries, in addition as during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Chia gel forms a physical barrier between carbohydrates and therefore the digestive enzymes to blame for their breaking down, which decelerates the carbs’ conversion into sugar.
1 lb bags cost $8. Moreover, 1/3 cup of dry chia seeds (2 ounces) makes about 17 ounces of chia gel which costs about $1. Since these 17oz will last around 4 days, their price is about 25 cents daily.
Chia seeds- a way to use?
You need to soak these seeds in water, and that they will quickly absorb an oversized amount of water.
In order to arrange chia gel, you must add 1/3 cup of chia seeds (2oz) to 2 cups of water. Then pour the mixture in an exceedingly sealed jar within the fridge. during this way, you’ll prepare 17oz chia gel. The gel are prepared in 10 minutes, so you’ll be able to consume it immediately. Yet, the ability of its nutrients comes only after some hours, so you must wait a small amount. The gel will last up to three weeks.
Mix chia with whole seeds, and if you wish, you’ll grind them in a very mill and add them to soups of smoothies. Moreover, you’ll sprinkle the mixture on your special meals and salads, otherwise you can add it to granola mixes.
Add it to drinks
Apart from water, chia seeds also absorb every kind of liquids, so you’ll be able to add them to your juices, mix it with some fruits within the blender and prepare your fabulous healthy drink! Yet, always sit up for 10 minutes before you drink it.
These are the highest 6 Chia recipes:
Basic Chia Gel recipe
- Add 1/3 cup chia seeds in two cups of water and blend well. Refrigerate and use when needed.
- Raw Rice Pudding
- 4-5 tablespoons chia seed
- Raw honey or agave syrup to taste
- 2 cups almond milk
- Soak the chia seeds 10 minutes before use. Then, mix all ingredients and you’ll be able to also add some cinnamon, vanilla or cardamom to counterpoint the taste.
- Banana-nut Bread
- 8 tablespoons ground chia
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups vegetable juice pulp
- 5 bananas
- ½ cup raisins
- Mix the bananas and veggie juice pulp in an exceedingly kitchen appliance. Then, add the bottom chia and blend until you get a homogeneous mixture. Then, mix it with raisins and walnuts during a bowl. Make a loaf and add the subsequent mixture on its top: mix 9 dates, the juice of 1 or 2 lemons, cheese, an even bigger few dulse seaweed and therefore the flesh of three avocados.
- Chia Fresca
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- Agave syrup or raw honey to taste
- 10 0z pure water
- Juice of 1 lemon or lime
- Bana-paya Chia
- 4-5 tablespoons ground chia
- 1 cup papaya flesh
- 1 banana
- 6 dried Turkish figs
- Mix the banana and also the papaya flesh, and add the figs. Leave the mixture to soak during the night. within the morning, stir well and add the bottom chia seeds.